Man charged after Sydney fatal hit-run


A man has been charged after he allegedly fled a horrific crash in northwest Sydney that killed a boy and left a woman and young girl fighting for life.

Police say the man was driving a Holden Commodore that hit six stationary cars as he was exiting the M2 in Baulkham Hills about 7pm on Saturday.

A 12-year-old boy in a Holden Captiva died at the scene while a 36-year-old woman and a five-year-old girl were taken to hospital in a critical condition.

The driver of the Captiva, a 38-year-old man, was taken to hospital for assessment. They are believed to be members of one family.

The driver of another car, a 65-year-old man, and his passenger, a 58-year-old woman, were taken to hospital with minor injuries. The occupants of another four cars escaped unhurt but the drivers were taken to hospital for mandatory testing.

“The only way to describe the crash scene is absolutely horrific. We have had to cut five people out of their vehicles,” Fire and Rescue NSW Inspector Kernin Lambert told The Daily Telegraph.

“It was an extremely severe collision. People have been fighting for their lives. We have been trying to keep people alive.”

One witness told the paper he believed the man had been speeding when he entered the exit.

A major police search was initiated including the use of PolAir and the dog unit to track down the driver of the Holden Commodore after he allegedly ran from the scene.

The 34-year-old man was arrested at a house at Narraweena, on Sydney’s northern beaches, just before 3.30am on Sunday.

He was charged with 10 offences including dangerous driving occasioning death, failing to stop after a fatal crash and speeding more than 45 km/h over the limit.

He was refused police bail and ordered to appear at Parramatta Bail Court on Sunday.

Meanwhile, a motorcyclist died after hitting a kangaroo near Wellington in the state’s central west.

Police believe the motorcyclist fell off his bike after hitting the kangaroo on Saturday night on Goolma Road, Spicers Creek, about 36km northeast of Wellington. He died at the scene.

Leave a Reply