Coronavirus: Nevada cases jump to 535; Sisolak ‘relying on medical advice’ in deciding when to reopen businesses

Nevada News
CLOSE

Gorgeous spring days usually mean packed bars, patios and sidewalks in downtown Reno. Not today with the COVID19 virus pandemic keeping people away from public places. Reno Gazette Journal

Editor’s note: This content is being provided for free as a public service to our readers during the coronavirus outbreak. Please support local journalism by subscribing here to the Reno Gazette Journal.

This story about how the COVID-19 outbreak is affecting Nevada communities is being updated throughout the day on Friday, March 27.

Total number of cases in NV jump by 115 

The number of known COVID-19 cases in Nevada jumped by triple-digits again Thursday night, coming to a total of 535 reported cases, according to the Nevada Health Alliance dashboard. 

That’s an increase of 115 cases over the previously reported number of 420. 

The statewide dashboard does not break down the numbers by county, so it’s unclear where the new cases are located. 

So far 6,696 people have been tested across the state and 10 people have died. 

Sisolak defends lengthier business closure 

Gov. Steve Sisolak said Thursday his decision to institute a lengthier business closure than President Donald Trump’s recommendation is based on sound medical recommendations, not “on hopes, emotion or politics.”

Although Trump has said he wants businesses and churches to reopen by Easter, Sisolak’s closure order doesn’t expire until April 16 and may be extended beyond that.

“My date does go longer than the president’s,” Sisolak said during a press conference with his medical adviser Dr. Shadaba Asad. “I am relying on medical advice and facts. That’s why we have Dr. Asad here today. We are not basing this on hopes or emotions or politics. It will strictly be based on medical decisions, medical guidance and statistics.”

Coronavirus in Nevada: April Fool’s Day looms – but this pandemic is no laughing matter

During the 40-minute press conference Shadaba, who heads the infectious disease department at University Medical Center in Las Vegas, reiterated the importance of social distancing, proper hand-washing and sneezing etiquette.

She also tried to reassure the public that hospital workers have access to the appropriate personal protection equipment for treating patients– a statement that seems to contradict pleas by health care workers and Sisolak himself for donated equipment.

Shadaba said hospitals are keeping COVID-19 patients sequestered from other patients and are following new CDC guidelines for reuse of masks and other protection equipment. But she acknowledged that such equipment is a precious resource in limited supply, so is being treated carefully.

“At this point in the hospital, we are not seeing patients without appropriate protection,” she said. “Also, at the same time, we are doing everything we can to avoid any wastage at all.”

Southern Nevada Health District update coming

LAS VEGAS – The Southern Nevada Health District will provide a COVID-19 update today at 11:30 a.m. Friday.

A total of 10 people have died from coronavirus in Nevada, according to new figures reported on the Nevada Health Response dashboard. 

The number of Nevadan’s who’ve tested positive for COVID-19 has jumped to 420 as of Thursday morning, the dashboard reports. That’s an increase of 84 new cases over Wednesday’s reported count on the dashboard of 321. 

The number of positive cases in Nevada is likely higher—state, local and healthcare officials say they don’t have enough tests to get a clear view of COVID-19’s spread.

The dashboard report says 4,862 people have been tested as of Thursday morning, a few hundred more than the 4,572 last reported tested. 

Story continues below:

Autoplay

Show Thumbnails

Show Captions

10 more COVID-19 cases confirmed in Washoe County

The Washoe County Health District reported 10 additional cases of COVID-19 in Washoe County Thursday, moving the total number of cases to 67.

 The total number of cases that have fully recovered remains at four. No deaths have been reported in Northern Nevada. 

The county’s COVID-19 Regional Information Team website, www.covid19Washoe.com, provides a dashboard that details how many cases there are in Washoe County, broken down by age and gender.

Read or Share this story: https://www.rgj.com/story/news/2020/03/27/nevada-coronavirus-updates-donald-trump-covid-19/2923155001/

Leave a Reply